Tuesday 17 May 2011

Kam Chan's Camera Obscura @ Axolotl Gallery

If I write about other Photographers or Artists it is usually because they inspire me. But not today, as today I am writing about an Artist because they just blew my mind!

I wandered casually into the Axolotl Gallery (as I do) and wandered around in a clockwork direction (as I do) to be greeted by the illustrative type works of Paul Mowat and Catherine Clark. These were all great works with Paul's work being very subtle but atmospheric depictions of people using the subway(interesting idea for oil paintings) and Catherine's work being bold and energetic portraits with an almost unfinished Dali-esq vibe to them-that were very beautiful and unsettling in a way.

After seemingly finishing my wander I stopped to speak to the Owner Sarah Wilson and other staff about the exhibition who explained there was more to see, namely Kam Chan's Camera Obscura. I was ushered into the back room through some thick curtains, only to be bathed in complete darkness except a small square of light being cast through the middle of a Blacked out window. I had been told what to expect but for some reason hadn't really comprehended what it was I was about to experience. As my eyes got used to the darkness shapes started to appear across the walls and it suddenly dawned on me that I was standing inside a giant Pin Hole Camera! I was surrounded by the projected silhouettes of upside down New Town Tenements and as my brain started to unravel the mystery little details started to show themselves to me. I stood in wonderment for a couple of minutes transfixed and hypnotised by the subtle movement of the trees and changing light and thought to myself what a beautiful thing I was experiencing. I couldn't quite believe it and neither will you.

Altered Images is on at Axolotl Gallery on Dundas Street until the 4th of June and I urge everyone to go. It has to be one of the best installations I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music

My newest tracks on Soundcloud